Lapa Rios Ecolodge
A rainforest left standing is worth more than one cut down.
Osa Peninsula, Southern Costa Rica.
Lapa Rios Ecolodge
Combining luxury with local Costa Rican culture this enchanting eco-lodge has prime position on the Osa Peninsula, close to the Corcovado National Park. Every detail is taken care of and each bungalow has a private veranda complete with outdoor shower and large hammocks. Built on a ridge, 350 feet above the sea level, the entire lodge enjoys fabulous views of the Golfo Dulce and Pacific Ocean. The restaurant serves excellent locally sourced, freshly prepared meals that can be enjoyed while taking in the breath taking views. Take a refreshing dip in the salt water pool, as you would expect the views from the pool are spectacular too.
Why go toLapa Rios Ecolodge?
Owners John and Karen Lewis designed Lapa Rios under the premise that, “a rainforest left standing is worth more than cut down,” and every guest visit to the ecolodge helps support both jungle conservation and the local community. The luxury accommodation has won a number of national and international awards for its social and environmental excellence and is regularly featured in sustainable tourism publications, research projects and travel publications, including Rainforest Alliance, Condé Nast Traveller, Travel & Leisure, Forbes and National Geographic Traveller.
Wildlife around Lapa Rios Ecolodge
Costa Rica is known for its pristine natural beauty, wildlife and amazing adventures. Lapa Rios Eco Lodge is situated in a 1000-acre private reserve in the Osa Peninsula—one of the most beautiful and wild parts of this country and home to 2.5% of the world’s biodiversity. Osa is the only place in Costa Rica where you’ll find four species of monkeys—squirrel, spider, white-face capuccin and howler monkey—and Osa is one of Central America’s best locations for birders. Over 300 species have been sighted at Lapa Rios: scarlet macaw, chestnut mandible toucan and aracaris, black-cheeked ant-tanager (only in Osa) are just a few to mention.Nearby Corcovado National Park is home to many of the country’s endangered animals such as pumas, jaguars, bairds tapir, wild pigs and the great harpy eagle.
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Highlights
- Set on over 1000 acres of private nature reserve
- 100% off the grid
- A charter member of the National Geographic Unique Lodges of the World
- Only hires locals and provides employment to more than 55 families.
- Use local ingredients in all dishes and feed food scraps to resident pigs
- Empty pristine beaches to swim and surf , within walking distance
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Location
Lapa Rios Ecolodge
- 17 rooms
- Open all year round
- Housekeeping service twice a day, three à la carte, multi-course meals per day, non alcoholic & non-mixed drinks.
- One round trip transfer Puerto Jimenez Airstrip – Lapa Rios and a wide selection of on-site guided tours such as: Early and Sunset Birds Tour, Wild Waterfall, Local Medicine Tour, Rainforest Ridge Walk, Osa Trail, Matapalo Tour and Night Walk.
- Child rate applies for children 6-11 years old; we don’t accept children younger than 6 years old; children 12 years and older pay the adult rate.
- Large main area with front desk
- Restaurant area and bar
- Swimming pool
- Guide’s centre
- Sitting area with board games
- Massage room with yoga deck.
- Self-guided walks
- Bird watching tour
- Waterfall hike
- Medicine walk
- Night walk, rain forest hikes, guided excursion to the national park
- Golfo Dulce boat trips
- Horse riding, surfing, stand up paddle board, kayaking
- Rappelling, canopy zip-line
- Cultural activities such as cooking lessons
- Spanish classes, join a local football match,
- Visit the nearby school or go on the behind-the-scenes sustainability tour.
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Rooms
Our standard amenities for all 17 of our luxurious bungalows include:
- Private outdoor deck with rain head shower, hammock and lounge chairs
- King size bed or two queen size beds (depending on bungalow) with 400-thread count, organic cotton linens
- Ceiling fans (no air-conditioning necessary with fresh ocean breezes)
- Two 110V electrical outlets (standard American outlets)
- Spacious indoor bathroom
- Locally made biodegradable, organic soaps, lotions and shampoos
- Safety box
- Complimentary local coffee delivered to your bungalow in the morning
- Cleaning service twice a day
Rana the frog likes this because…
“Sustainability is one of the core values at Lapa Rios. A strong focus on conservation and community development is at the forefront of their everyday operations. Wildlife and nature is respected, they use renewable materials for construction, locally sourced biodegradable products and organic foods are used. Staff are exclusively local. Education of both local communities and guests on sustainability, cultural and environmental matters is key.”
And don’t forget … for every booking we get, Costa Rica Specialists plants trees in deforested areas of latin America through The Travel Forest, and we back The Tribes Foundation’s conservation and social projects.
Take the plunge...
We know and love Costa Rica, and would be delighted to help you plan your perfect Costa Rica holiday. Call 01473 599085 and speak to one of our Costa Rica travel specialists today.